Friday, February 4, 2011

Lunar New Year

There are still Christmas decorations up in town. You know what? I'm glad Americans take down that stuff pretty fast, it starts to look very old and ratty if the whole town is like that going into February. I was also wished a Happy New Year day before yesterday... I was confused too, but the Lunar New year is apparently THE new year over here. And it's the biggest holiday of the year. Too bad it's one of those family oriented ones where everyone goes home to eat with their loved ones. No parade? fine :(

The weather here is "warm" right now, so it's been in the 40's during the day and only dipping to the 20's at night. There was snow on the ground when I arrived and it was very cold-be-sure-you've-got-on-long-underwear. But the snow has mostly melted and it's just regular cold. It's supposed to get colder and snow again next week. It's tolerable. Being in Cali was good training, both for the cold and the early night fall. I've got a good jacket and so far it hasn't been too bad.

I have heard it's crazy in the US, snowing everywhere, but I haven't seen many pictures, I want to know how much it actually snowed in SA!

I haven't had any local food yet, lol, thank god for army bases. There is basically a food court very similar to a mall food court that everyone eats at, it's pretty good. There's also some nicer places to eat in the lobby of this giant hotel on base. I haven't found the giant Starbucks that is supposedly in Seoul, but I have found two on base so far. My new favorite is the white hot chocolate. I don't even want to know how many calories that has.

I'm making some goals as I go along, so far I've got two.
1) don't get fat eating comfort food
2) get out on the weekends and explore

I've been staying with Justin's co-worker and co-worker's wife, Wayne and Ceci. They are both really nice, very friendly and they cook. Not too pushy about 'what are you doing' 'where are you going'. The place is nice too, marble floors and the nicest bathroom I've seen in years. But it still feels weird to be a guest, it's just something I'm not very comfortable with. And I Do feel like I have to socialize if I'm not in my room, so I just stay there a lot. yay me and my social skills.

Justin and I are in the process of finding, getting approved, and moving into an apartment. Probably not far from where I am now (a couple of blocks from base), but it's probably going to be another week or two.

Things are better and the same after a week in Korea. I know what to expect more from every day, but it still feels like a very big strange city that is part dream and part fake movie set. Justin is going to take off work more since I'm here and we're going to travel some. That is going to make a difference, I do like to travel and see different things, but I always like to go home at the end of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment