Monday, August 8, 2011

Texas Heat

All of the weather forecasts for Texas and San Antonio were making me not excited about visiting (103 F, 102 F, 104 F, 101 F, 100 F, etc). But it’s not as bad as I remember it being.

In Korea right now, it’s humid and pretty hot. So anytime you put one toe outside you’re sweating and it’s really gross. But in Texas it’s SO hot that there is hardly any humidity. It’s kind of like being under a heat lamp, but strangely enough I’m not a gross sweaty mess like I was expecting to be. There are also no mosquitoes as far as I can tell (trust me, they’ll find me if they’re alive).

The nights are particularly nice. When it finally gets dark, around 9pm the sky is a dark blue and the moon is bright white. The air is warm, but there is a breeze and it’s just kind of lovely. It makes you want to sit outside and watch the sky.

That being said, I guess I didn’t realize HOW hot it was, mostly because I wasn’t sweating. In reality I’m probably sweating like normal but it evaporates before you are even wet. Yeah, it’s that hot. (If I was outside running laps, yeah I’m sure I’d feel the sweat. But compared to stepping outside in humidity and being gross immediately to stepping outside in ultra heat and feeling hot but okay, hot is winning.)

So the first few days Justin and I would wake up, do stuff around San Antonio, come back to the hotel and fall asleep at 4pm. I’ve never slept like this before. It’s the sleep of the dead, where you just crash on top of the covers, fully clothed and all the lights on, only to wake up 5 hours later and feel like you just closed and opened your eyes. So, we started drinking water all the time even if we weren’t thirsty. It’s helped.

Even though you have to be extremely careful with this kind of heat, I prefer it to the humidity that I associate with summer. I really hate the humidity. Turns out, the heat I actually kind of like.

1 comment: