Tuesday, August 16, 2011

TDY San Antonio

If you recall, Justin got the opportunity to go TDY to San Antonio a few weeks before our upcoming September vacation. I was then faced with two options.

One) Stay in Korea until our planned vacation at the beginning of September and miss Justin for two weeks while he was on TDY.

OR

Two) Go to San Antonio with Justin on his TDY, then go on to California for the remaining three weeks that Justin had to go back and work in Korea.

It came down to me being alone for TWO weeks in Korea, or without Justin but with my family for THREE weeks in California. I couldn’t be alone in Korea again. Justin had another TDY earlier this year to Denver and was gone for 8 days. I thought I would go crazy. So while we both Hate being apart, ultimately, it would be better for me to not be alone for so long. Plus Justin would be working 14 hours days (on night shift) for most of those three weeks back in Korea.

In a perfect world, I would just fly with Justin to wherever he had to be, but with a limited budget (like most people have) I could only fly back to the States once. While Justin’s TDY trip to San Antonio was paid for by his work and his second trip to the states in September was on our dime.

We had a great trip/mini vacation in San Antonio (“mini” because Justin still had to work). I felt oddly at home in our hotel room with almost nothing familiar around me. That paired with how strange I felt standing in our old house, in my old room, and realizing that I really didn’t live there anymore. I started to wonder where I felt most at home.

I’ve moved around a lot in the past year; San Antonio, Berkeley, Seoul. And while I have been a very materialistic, home-nester in the past; each move resulted in me having less stuff. I guess I’ve had to redefine “home” and the ways I feel comfortable and settled-in.


I’m in California, my San Antonio mini-vacation is over. I’m very happy to be with my family again, and very happy to be with all the animals(The two cats get along, I’m so relived). But I miss Justin.

When people talk about their spouse being their best friend, they really are. It’s different then your best friend you had growing up. But it comes down to the same thing, you really like hanging out with this person and you want to share everything with them from; how your day went, meals, chill time, adventures, basically your whole life. Plus all that awesome “etc” stuff that grown-ups get to do.

When someone is that important to you, they become an inseparable part of your life, and they become your everything. My home is where Justin is.

Justin is my home, my life and my love.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree about spouses being best friends. I think Jasper knows me better than anyone else at this point, and that is exactly the way I like it :-)

    ReplyDelete